"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Angela Schwindt

Monday, October 22, 2012

Lesson #7 - Fact or Opinion

Some of you know that I changed Izzy's school this year. She is now attending a reformed Jewish school. Why a Jewish school since we're not Jewish? Because they have an amazing program that fits her way of learning and personality perfectly. And finding a school that works for her was my priority. Let me also mention she's still attending Sunday school, since I'm Catholic. I know this can be a little confusing for a 7 year old. So I explain to her that while she'll be learning about God in her new school she won't be learning about Jesus. "What? Why?" Izzy asks. After I explain why I also proceed to tell her they don't celebrate Christmas. Well, you can just imagine how that went over. What?! No Christmas!!! "Well mom," Izzy responded after staying quiet for a minute, "what the Jewish people think is an OPINION and what Catholics think is a FACT." Oh boy...I just hope she doesn't go saying that to her Judaic Social Studies teacher. Actually it doesn't matter what she says because everyone is entitled to their own "fact or opinion." I'm just happy that she's learning both beliefs because when she gets older she can take what she's learned and decide on her own what's a fact and what's an opinion. I'm not going to try to influence her decision because what's important, no matter what a persons religion or beliefs are, is that she grow up to be a good person with a loving heart.

0 comments:

Post a Comment